søndag 23. mars 2008

Greed

My mother grew up without electrisity. She have told me about the day when it came. She was about 8-9 years old (if I'm not wrong). She carried her youngest brother in her arms in her home when the brand new lightbulb in the kitchen lamp turned on. Her brother (my uncle) was terrified. He had never experienced this phenomenoma. But he couldn't be blamed, he was only about 1 year old. My mother grew up in an unindustrialized country. Her family was quite poor.

I grew up with only one state TV-channel. One state radio-channel. I can remember that I had to use my older brother clothes, or that my mum sewed clothes to me and my siblings. Some clothes was borrowed from friends and collegues of my parents.. But we mostly survived without starving.. And nobody noticed my old or homemade clothing.

Suddently something changed. I can remember our first computer. Internet connection. New tv- and radio-channels. My sister demanded spesific brands when my mother went to shop clothes to us. The rat-race on school, which music was in, which clothing was out, make-up, perfumes.. I hated it..

The shift is quite clear. From.. "we need, but can't affort it" to "I want it!" And even worse. "I want it, but I think it should be for free, so I'll take it anyway".

I can't say that I long back to my childhood without internet or several tv-channels. But I would like people to be a bit more humble about their fantastic situation. We are bathing in luxury in a world where people still die of simple diseases who could be prevented or cured by simple means (vaccination or cheap medicines). People dies of starvation while USA burns food for billions, just to keep the price up. And the only thing on our mind is that "I want this computer, for free!", "I want this music, for free!", "I want this land, for free!". While people dies, because their medicine is to expencive..

When will it all collapse?

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

Good question and a fascinating story. It's like your family represents the development of a whole century, the 20th, but in less time.

Having some experience of a life with simple habits is good, I think. Although it is easy to get used to cable channels and such, and easy to forget about your past, you know deep inside what is what like. The kids of today haven't got a clue.